Tweeting Myself into Action: A Lesson Learned

1. Two weeks ago I attended the Blissdom conference in Nashville. One of the sponsors, ConAgra Foods, has a commitment to end child hunger and was raising funds by having the Blissdom attendees tweet about ending child hunger. I took part in this fundraiser but along the way I learned a little something about myself through a series of tweets.
    I saw this tweet in my #Blissdom hash tag stream and I responded by doing my part.
  2. Share
    Don’t miss your chance to help! For every #childhunger tweet during #Blissdom @ConAgraFoods donates a meal- up to 40k- to Feeding America
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 18:05:02
  3. Share
    Thank you @ConAgraFoods for dinner and sponsoring us! Let’s stop #ChildHunger together.
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 22:11:27
  4. Then next evening I read this tweet from PhD in Parenting and it hit me. I needed to do more than just tweet about ending child hunger. I shouldn’t be depending on a company to donate simply because I tweeted out a hash tag.
  5. Share
    If u can afford 2 go 2 #blissdom12, surely u can afford $20 donation to a food bank. That will help so much more than propping up @ConAgra.
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:00:40
  6. Annie was right. I could afford to donate to my local food bank. I am very fortunate that I could travel to Blissdom in Nashville. I knew that I could do more. I wanted to do more.
  7. Share
    @phdinparenting okay then, when I get home I’ll donate $20 to the food bank. How do I go about doing that in Ottawa? @conagra #ChildHunger
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:09:31
  8. Share
    .@kristahouse Excellent! Just Google the Ottawa Food Bank’s website or you can donate via the @canadahelps website.
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:13:45
  9. Share
    . @phdinparenting has inspired me not 2 just tweet about #ChildHunger but 2 donate actual money to my local food bank #blissdom #blissdom12
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:25:32
  10. Share
    @phdinparenting @kristahouse @canadahelps Great! Thank you! Or you can go directly to our side ottawafoodbank.ca and donate online there!
    Mon, Feb 27 2012 14:24:19
  11. I returned home and made my donation to the Ottawa Food Bank via an online form. It could not have been easier to donate. I encourage anyone that is able to donate cash to their local food bank to do it.
  12. Oh and ConAgra Foods agreed to match 20k tweets worth of meals to Feeding America, making it a grand total of 40k!
  13. Share
    Yay! RT @ConAgraFoods: #BlissDom helped donate 20k meals 2 @FeedingAmerica w/ #ChildHunger tweets. B/C of your help, we R going 2 match it!
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 19:33:41

One of the biggest lessons I learn was that donating money to the food bank goes a long way. Annie from PhD in Parenting has created an eye opening infographic. I encourage you to read her post.

Hunger Equations — What Is The Best Way to Help Fight Hunger?

Infographic by Annie @ PhD in Parenting. The code for the Hunger Equations INFOGRAPHIC can be found at the PhD in Parenting Blog.

This entry was posted in Blissdom. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Tweeting Myself into Action: A Lesson Learned

1. Sara says:

Thank you for sharing – it’s a great lesson!

2. coffeewithjulie says:

Great post! So impressive how you took a somewhat negative tweet and turned it into such positive action!