Going Public with my Mac – My Five Step Security Checklist

I’m heading to Blogher this August and there are a few things I need to remember to do before I take my MacBook Pro off into public wifi networks. I thought I would share my checklist:

1. Only connect to wifi networks that are familiar

For example, if you plan on using the hotel wifi, check the name of the wifi before connecting. Hackers may have set up a similar named network, so be careful.

2. Enable the Mac’s built in firewall

1. Open System Preferences.
    2. Under Personal, select Security & Privacy.
    3. Select the Firewall tab.
    4. Ensure the Firewall is turned ON.

3. Set your computer to require a password for sleep on screen saver

1. Open System Preferences.
    2. Under Personal, select Security & Privacy.
    3. Select the General tab.
    4. Check Require password for sleep and screen saver and select the time interval you would want the sleep/screen saver to begin.

4. Turn off sharing

1. Open System Preferences.
    2. Under Internet & Wireless, select Sharing.
    3. Make sure file sharing and other services are unchecked.

5. Turn off iTune’s music sharing

1. Open iTunes.
    2. Under the iTunes menu, select Preferences.
    3. Select the Sharing tab and uncheck the sharing option.

Do you have any checklists that you use when traveling with high tech gadgets? Is there  something you would add to this list? Let me know!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Blissdom Canada, BlogHer, High Tech Life and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Going Public with my Mac – My Five Step Security Checklist

1. This is a great list! One additional thing to consider is physical security, a lot of women will be toting MacBook Air’s & Ultrabooks which will be tempting targets for thieves. These devices also can be fragile. What methods will you use to protect & safeguard your computer while traveling, at the hotel & during the conferencce

• Krista - The Tech Mom says:

Thanks for stopping by!

Yes, physical security is super important! My own approach when traveling with my Mac is to never let it out of my sight. Ever. On the airplane, I always place it under the seat in front of me. Not the overhead bin.

If I am traveling by car, I never leave it behind when heading into a reststop. My laptop bag essentially becomes my purse. I would never leave my wallet unattended, same goes for my mac. It all comes to the restroom with me to hang on the hook behind the door. Leaving it on the floor is kind of yucky, but also someone could try and snatch it from under the stall while you are, er… mediating ;)

If I choose to leave my laptop in my hotel room I usually can fit it into the room’s safe. I don’t own a lock, but have one on order: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW041LL/A

I don’t mind paying $40 for a lock if it means I can leave it out in the open of the hotel room without worry. Remember, if you take the time to use a lock, make sure to place it around an immovable object! And be sure to follow checklist #3 – password protection :)

Safe travels for you and your laptop!

2. Seems too obvious, but make sure it’s well backed up before leaving home. Too many people never back their computer up. (I do. burned once, never again.)

This is a great list! Thank you!!

• Krista - The Tech Mom says:

Yes, thank you! I use timemachine so I don’t even think about backing up any more but you are sooo right. Heading out into the wild with your laptop, anything can happen, not just theft, but damage too.

Thanks, Jana!

3. This is a great list. I just got a macbook for my birthday, and I’m still learning about all its features. Now it will be safer when I take it to BlogHer! Thanks!!

4. Hi! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?

5. It is actually a great and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

6. Thanks for the helpful write-up. It is also my belief that
    mesothelioma cancer has an really long latency time period, which means that indication of the disease
    might not emerge until finally 30 to 50 years after the primary exposure to mesothelioma.

Pleural mesothelioma, which can be the most common variety and impacts the
    area within the lungs, will cause shortness of breath, chest
    muscles pains, as well as a persistent cough, which may result in coughing up body.

7. ewmar2.pl says:

It sustains you to go set with conformity with security
    programs. Compare several developers and check out and about
    their quotations to written proposals bit of research on.

8. Putting Grip says:

Howdy,
    I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you
    using for this website? I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

9. Normally, basic use includes ample characteristics to maintain associated with
    membership database.

10. Hi, of course this paragraph is actually nice and I have
    learned lot of things from it about blogging. thanks.

11. # says:

Given a few bars to fill near the end, you will discover incredible
    durability that is not. The Plastic, although expensive,
    allows hardwearing aluminium on the outside face and secure it with masking
    tape. But like all with windows and glass doors, it’s a bit more to purchase, they can be mounted outside the frame of the Iron door at a later date.

12. web page says:

Hi there superb website! Does running a blog such as this require a massive amount work?
    I have absolutely no knowledge of programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog soon.
    Anyway, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please
    share. I understand this is off topic but I simply had to ask.
    Many thanks!

13. Nice answers in retyrn of this question with firm arguments andd telling everything on the topic off
    that.

14. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts
    and I will be waiting for your further write ups thank you once
    again.

15. What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable familiarity on the
    topic of unpredicted feelings.

16. Zelma says:

bookmarkeɗ!!, I really like your website!

17. Definitely imagine that that you said. Your favourite justification appeared to be on the net the
    simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly
    get annoyed while other people think about concerns that
    they plainly don’t realize about. You controlled to hit the nail
    upon the highest and also outlined out the entire thing with no need side
    effect , other folks could take a signal. Will
    likely be back to get more. Thank you

18. Hellօ, i read your blog occasionally aand i own a
    similar оne and і was just curious if you get a lߋt off spam comments?

If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or
    anything you can гecommend? I get sso much lately it’s driving me
    crazy so any support iis very much appreciated.

19. A hoover is the most successful of cleansing resources; it can be the pricier.
    You can find many different types of hoover with various characteristics.
    Therefore before you buy a top-rated vacuum-cleaner be sure you know what sort of vacuum cleaner is most appropriate for your own needs.

Selecting the best hoover may be perplexing.
    To make things clearer you ought to know what the various types of hoover
    are, what the main qualities it is possible to
    find on a vacuum cleaner, and desire you kind of flooring you’re going
    to be employing a vacuum cleaner on.